View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #32
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
Something that I don't understand, if it is supposed to be illegal, then why is there software being sold to help remove DRM?

I was doing some checking as I am seriously considering it, I bought some books online, not knowning that they were DRM'd. I thought they were DRM free, as one said epub and the others were Adobe.

Anyhow, there is software being sold, I have seen two different types offered. So, what is going to happen there? Those businesses will be shut down? Charges brought against them?

I am just getting confused about DRM and ADOBE and ADE, if you have to download ADE to install a book, doesn't that mean it is DRM'd? And isn't Calibre unable to process DRM books? So, if I have to download ADE to be able to put books on my reader (Sony 900), doesn't that mean the books are DRM books and doesn't that mean I can't use Calibre? Therefore, I have to strip the books to be able to read them, right?

I have been bouncing from thread to thread, reading all the posts trying to understand this.
And I am getting more confused than straightened out.

Last edited by JLYates; 01-20-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: clarification
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote