View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #23464
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
My cup is empty at the moment, but will soon be filled with green tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Guess it depends on how well you get on with them. Can you try it for a while and get somewhere else if it doesn't work? You could use the excuse of needing to be nearer your house block to save hurt feelings.
We get on great, that's not the part I'm worried about. I'm more worried about losing our independence and how that will affect us. But we did talk about moving out again after a couple of months if it really is too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about the "no household chores" part, Iri. Of course your parents would offer to do those nasty work for you but we both know it's just not right to delegate all chores to our parents Eventually the chores, the breach of privacy, the long hours to work and your building site would catch up with you.
Oh I know I'll do some things. Cook every now and then, hang the washing out to dry. But you can't compare helping clean the house and occasionally doing the weekly shopping with running your own household. My mom doesn't work anymore, and she does most of the cleaning and washing during the week anyway. While the rest of the family is at work or in school.

I also know all those things will catch up with us, whether we live with my parents or in our own place. We'd still have long hours at work, chores and building. We already know it's going to be a rough couple of years. Question is if it will be even rougher if we live with my parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
First, the vital info: Coke Zero #1 in my cup. And I am sticking to just two Cokes a day.

And now I can give my free and worth-what-you-paid-for-it advice.

It sounds like a really generous offer to me. And if you get on well with your parents, go for it. But do make sure you have a definite plan and timetable. Even if it gets altered, it's much better to be able to talk about why the timetable is being altered than not to have one at all.

And I think that amward's idea is an excellent way to cut short the arrangement if it becomes too fraught.

P.S. If you do decide to go for this, think very carefully before putting any of your current household stuff into store. It may well be cheaper to sell/give away most of it and re-buy when you move into your own place, than to have it stored for two (or more!) years.
It's very generous. The definite plan idea sounds good. We would move into our own house as soon as possible anyway, but picking a date makes it even more 'bearable'.
We wouldn't have to rent storage units, my parents have lots of room where we can put furniture. We'll also sell some things that we won't be using in our house anyway.

It's really distracting me, I can't seem to focus on work. I hope we'll be able to make a decision soon. Thanks for all the advice guys, you're all great

Last edited by Iridal; 02-05-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote