View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 03:44 AM   #9
thenitch
thenitch began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
My experience with the two files depended heavily on how many pictures were on the page. On the bigger file, I was getting page turn speeds of about 1 second over a couple pages, and then about a 5 second page turn, then back to a second for a couple more. It seems to cache a couple pages in memory, making for the quick page turns. That occurred until it tried to load page 6 of 18 (the page with the 14 pictures on it). The first time it had to load that page it took 4 minutes, 24 seconds. I went through the rest of the document to the end and then started backward through the document. When it had to load page 6 of 18 the second time it only took 2 minutes, 48 seconds. I continued to the beginning of the document, and then repeated the process again. The third time it took only 1minute, 2 seconds to load that page.

As for the zooming, if there are a lot of pictures on a page, it may not zoom in as tight as you wish. I was able to zoom in to %400, which covered an area of about 4 of the pictures. Going to %800 percent gave an "out of memory" error. If I tried to go to the %400 zoom directly from the "fit width" it would also give the "out of memory" error. I had to go first to 100% zoom, 200% zoom, then 400% zoom. It took a couple minutes for the whole process. The zooms on pages with only text was able to go all the way to the max zoom available, 6400%. Back to page 6 of 18, once zoomed in to 400% on one area of the page, scrolling to look at a different area of that same page was near instantaneous.

As Kralik mentions, the jetbook does have a feature that makes it easier to read pdfs that are double or triple columns. Once you have a pdf page open, you hit the "OK" button once or twice to get into the appropriate mode for the dual or triple column reading. It still isn't perfect in the way it operates, depending upon the orientation, zoom levels and such, but it is better than not having the feature at all.

Hope this information helps.

Lance

Last edited by thenitch; 11-29-2009 at 04:08 AM.
thenitch is offline   Reply With Quote