View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #28
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticvillage View Post
Although this thread seems to have been hijacked a bit I would just like to say thanks to the people who gave advice re DRM. I would like to make clear that I was freely given the book by my friend...I know that digital stuff is not lehgally allowed to be "freely given" in the same way as paper books. But my conscience is clear. I was only wanting to know the technical answer or be posted to a helpful link.

There seems to be plenty of software to help you un-DRM a book that you have bought yourself. My friend could easily use this to convert to an ordinary mobi. However, she is not technical or interested in downloading the software necessary.

So my question was - technically - does software exist that can un-drm books that you acquire but have not personally bought? The answer seems to be "No", but obviously open to any enlightenment.
No - I already gave you the technical reason in the first reply. The real world isn't like NCIS, where encryptions are cracked in minutes. To brute-force the decryption of a DRM'ed book without having the key would probably take a couple of million years on average.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-22-2012 at 11:53 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote