View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
So you think it is better to export the Pages document as an epub, open it in Sigil, and work on it there?

(As opposed to saving it as a *.doc file, then opening it say in Open Office and following one of the more traditional routes to generating html?)
nj:

(Between you and Bear, this place is starting to feel very familiar, LOL)...yes, generally, I think I would. I'm not going to state it categorically, because my experience is limited. I don't much care for the Mac environment, so have not spent a lot of time banging around in it. However, when I received that poetry in Pages, and had to open it over on the Mac, while I was exporting the .doc format, I thought, "what the hell" and tried other export options. The ePUB output from the original Pages file was remarkably clean. It would have been a matter of minutes (because we already have the relevant CSS ready-to-go) to rename the elements as needed, marry it to our House CSS and have it done. Now, I want to iterate that it was an extremely simple file, just one line of text, followed by "enter" after another, so it wasn't a complicated test.

To me, either it would have been fast to a) do it in Sigil or even b) explode the exported ePUB, open all the html files in NT Pro, and regex it either way. I don't see that going Pages-->Doc-->HTML-->Sigil would have been faster. Now, that's someone who does this all the time speaking. I'm not sure it would be more intuitive for a noob DIY'er, like the folks on the KDP. That's my caveat, here. It's fine if you know HTML/XHTML/Regex. Probably not so easy if one doesn't, or needs to upload Word or HTML at the KDP.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote