View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #421
t.kruse
t.kruse began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thanks for all replies. I will check the options for changing the cover image and the extended Kobo Calbre driver.

Regarding ghosting, I believe that a 1 Ghz processor should be able to figure out in sufficiently short time that a page has dark areas large enough to require a full page refresh. I am not sure whether any eReader or reader software can do this, but to me it just does not seem that difficult a computation. Setting refresh to every page works of course, but is annoying in its own right. (EDIT: So yeah, maybe this is more of a suggestino than a Bug)

The PDF view-area settings freeze would have to be optional, but probably it would be unnecessary if the reader had auto-cropping. The reader should always zoom into the content at scale such that white areas on the borders are not displayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sorry but to me that is entirely a metadata issue. The author name/author sort/book title are set in the metadata. Use either Calibre or Sigil to fix.
I want a reader that is robust and can handle some non-perfect formats and non-perfect metadata in a benign way. For metadata, look at any current Smartphone Music library. You just give it a title, or even just some mp3, and it fetches all the metadata, and allows to see organized views of a collection by band, by album, by year, by genre, see the lyrics and whatnot else. I just want the same for books, no having to go and edit metadata myself. And a reader that cannot guess that "John Doe" and "Doe, John" are the same name seems a bit weak in comparison. I can also blame calibre in this case, sure.

I know I could spend hours just perfecting the metadata of my collections, but that's a pointless activity given the millions of other readers with the same problem and the resources that vendors and publishers have.

Quote:
Personally, I seldom browse through the library. Using the search feature is just a lot faster and easier.
I understand why people would not browse their library that much, because the library is so difficult to handle on the ereader. But search is different from browsing, it has a very different purpose. If it is a sunny day, I want to read a new book from my collection, then i want to browse the collection, not search in it. That's why all stores offer browsing and searching both.And why should browsing my collection on my eReader be a pain?

Quote:
You want the ereader to read your mind?
Regarding 0% read vs. unread vs. unfinished, currently the ereader tries to read mymind anyway. It reasons like: "oh this guy openened the file once, so I'll change the state from unread to 0% read so that the guy remembers". I think the default should be different, as long as a file has not been looked at for more than just the opening page, it's last status (unread / finished) should not be changed. That's no more or less mindreading than what is happening now.

Quote:
How does the ereader get informed that book A is a comic book, book B is a novel, book C is a tech reference?
Regarding sorting by type, I meant epub vs. pdf vs. cbz/cbr. Of course comic books can come as epubs then maybe filtering by file size would help. Somthing around 5 MB may serve as dividing line between mostly text and mostly images. Anything would be more useful than having no means of filtering at all, even if perfection is not possible

Quote:
See the settings menu. Under Reading settings, turn off the "Show page numbers in the margins:"
I knew that, my point was it should not be a default to start with.

Quote:
It would seem that you have not purchased many books from the Kobo store given a couple of your comments such as the statistics display.
I have had the eReader for a week, how many book purchases would be normal by now? And what does it matter anyway?

EDIT: And another Suggestion: if an epub file has an embedded image, then zooming in that image should be much more convenient such as long tapping or double tapping the image and get it in full screen mode. In my case a book had a "hand-written" note in it, and using the zoom menu to make it readable did not go well with my reading-flow.

Last edited by t.kruse; 05-30-2013 at 10:59 AM.
t.kruse is offline   Reply With Quote