View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
So I have come up with a solution. I didn't find the solution that I was looking for, but I think this one works pretty well for me. None of the online sites that offer the service that I was looking for do a good enough job of organizing the files and their reading software is sub par, so after a lot of searching and asking questions on various forums I finally decided on a compromise. I chose to use Google Drive, which while similar to the dropbox idea has some significant differences that allow me to be OK with using it.

I uploaded my books to Google Drive (similar to dropbox, but with more free storage space and a much better UI). I found that when I open the files while in the Google Drive app that it allows me to choose my reader and then opens the file in that app by downloading the book into a cache file. The cache file set up by Google Drive has a buffer limit, so that it never stores more than the designated MBs (in my case 25mb) and it can also clear the cache in the app at my direction. Google Drive also allows me to create folders, rename files and folders, and move things around in the app or online without any difficulty. The syncing between what is uploaded online or in the app is also nearly instant. So, while this is not a browser based solution it does basically the same thing and allows for more control. I appreciate all of the folks who offered solutions, most importantly the ones who tried to guide me toward the dropbox solution. I don't like dropbox, but the basic idea is the same.

I am saddened by the number of posts saying things like 'ebook files are small, so get over it and just download them onto your device anyway.' or 'needing to be online is a foolish and ridiculous prerequisite. Being online makes things worse, not better.' My request was for help in a specific endeavour, not for opinions about whether or not my basic premise was too restrictive or foolish for people in entirely different situations than my own. I have around 4GB of ebook files, tech manuals, and text books. I wanted these files to be easily accessible and in a central location, but not taking up all of that space on my tablet. I have those files on an external hard drive, but I didn't want to have to hook up to the hard drive every time I wanted to read a new book or look through my library and I wanted to be able to access that library on the go. I use several streaming services that would be useless without a network connection and saw doing the same thing with ebooks as no big deal. In other words, the solution I was looking for was one that would work well for me, I was not after a universal solution for everyone.

In the end what I found may not be what I started out looking for, but it works. Maybe someday a good browser based reading app will come around, but even if it doesn't happen I am happy enough with my solution to not mind.

Last edited by jabberwock_11; 11-27-2012 at 03:40 PM.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote