View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #184
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjallan View Post
I am using Calibre to convert to MOBI format... to be read by the Kindle….

My input file has first line indents for all paragraphs except the first in every Chapter.

According to the typographical convention I am following, the first line of every paragraph should be flush left, not indented.

But, Calibre ignores my flush left first line, and adds an indent for every paragraph.
Hi cjallan. Try using calibre to convert it HTML to MOBI or MOBI to MOBI with preference setting Look&Feel tab checked for "Insert blank line between paragraphs." Edit1: If that doesn't work or you already have a blank line between paragraphs, try it again with that unchecked or checked (I'm not sure both checked does anything) and with checked "Remove spacing between paragraphs." "Insert blank line between paragraphs" usually sets it to flush. If that doesn't work try changing Look&Feel tab paragraph indent size to zero. If none of that works, uncheck the paragraph line settings and try: Heuristic tab check yes Heuristic processing which may cause other problems. If that doesn't work I'm stumped, report back and someone will be along eventually who knows the right answer. Or ask in Kindle forum linked below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjallan View Post
My other question is... how do I tell Calibre where "Start" is?

Currently, my Calibre MOBI file (when read with Kindle) opens to the second page, even though I have placed a Start tag on the Forward page in my HTML code

I'm not having any luck trying to search the "help" files...

Can you direct me to the right page to find this information?

Thanks!
I don't know enough HTML yet to even try to answer that one, but you might get a quicker response asking again in the eBook Readers forum (section above the calibre forum on the main Forums page, in the Kindle sub-forum). Edit2: Oops, link didn't work, this does: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140.

Or someone may be along here in awhile who knows the answer.
Please report back and let me know how it goes.

Edit: Oh, BTW, if the Kindle sub-forum doesn't help, the calibre Conversion sub-forum might know those answers too. And "Remove spacing between paragraphs" adds whatever indent is set in the paragraph indent box in Look&Feel tab, while "Add spacing between paragraphs" removes that I think. Both globally on all paragraphs. So for how to have both flush and indented in same book in same conversion process, I'm stumped. Edit: Sorry I didn't think earlier to put this paragraph at the beginning.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-31-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: various additions