View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
teaser: new versions coming soon....

From an another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Right, but when I tried it, I never really got close and still had to make at least 20 button pushes to find the word I wanted. I really like the idea of having a really good unabridged dictionary but it would take great patience. I was thinking I could increase the number of table of contents entries to 50 and have them evenly distributed so that you were never more than 1/50th of the book away from the word you want. For the 'A' words which displays in 1076 pages when in small fonts that means you're never more than about 21 pages from the word you want. Unfortunately, I'd have to do that for all 24 or so of the dictionaries (B to XYZ, too) which would mean over a thousand links I'd have to create. I'm just not sure I want to do that.
I automated the process to add TOC entries into a two-tiered TOC as previously mentioned here. I ended up adding just over 2600 TOC links. The idea was to space them evenly over every 50 words and then the mid point would be no more than 25 words from either side (word_before TOClink or word_after TOClink). With an average of (say) 5 words to a "page" that would mean the mid point would be 5 pages away.

I updated my .html for this two-tier TOC already and will soon replace the ones above.

Now, the exciting news (for the REB1200 version ONLY) all words referenced in a definition like 'See Base' are now hyperlinked to that entry in the dictionary; some 50,000+ new links have been added by me! Unfortunately, the EBW1150, cannot handle this many links, so I've limited the EBW1150 version to only contain hyperlinks to words that are 7 letters or greater! This reduces sufficiently the number of links and can be made to work with the EBW1150. I'm going to try increasing the number of hyperlinks i.e. only 6+ letters, then only 5+ letters, 4+ letters, etc. until I find the last working version. Again this only refers to the words referenced "inside" a definition; not the main words linked from the TOC!

This conversion from .html to .imp takes siginificantly longer, about 3 hours, so it will take a bit more time to see which EBW1150 I'm going to go with. The REB1200 version is already finished!

Even though this is a 100 year old dictionary, I hope you find it useful. I know some people will probably read it like a book....

p.s. I attach a teaser image of various EBW1150 .imp versions (of a sample html); the one with 596 total pages is what I will produce (small font), but I do like the one with 498 pages (x-small font). Any opinions?
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBW1150_TOC_A1.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	17259   Click image for larger version

Name:	EBW1150_TOC_A2.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	17260   Click image for larger version

Name:	EBW1150_TOC_Abase.jpg
Views:	809