View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #201
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
How about dumping kernel and modifying initramfs init file to create temporary file system and load unionfs module ? Maybe using this we could replace/include some scripts with these from tempfs.
I was thinking of something with the initramfs. It is really limited, aka no shell utils, but luckily, the included recovery-utils script has many great functions like mounting mmc and copying files so we can always import stuff from it. I was just hoping there's a easier way (and I guess that's already easy). More specifically, I want to know how those android auto-root kernels work. Or are they just auto-root startup scripts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
"-Kernel update are now delta! It reads the kernel, hashes it, if it matches, the kernel is patched and then reflashed. Custom kernels will prevent updates! (I think the only custom kernel is mine, so I won't make one for 4.0 anyways)."

Sorry, I didn't remember quite right However, if this works I'd say we're done. It'll be much simpler than rooting most android phones, I don't see the need for finding something simpler.
I was talking about the updater. The updater for Kindle 4 will only update "vanilla" kernels because it no longer includes the entire kernel in each update, so the patcher will fail.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote