View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #35
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Thank you, jackie_w. Your post includes so much information that is useful to me both as a new calibre user - and as a new eBook reader - that I'm still processing it mentally, realizing there are many things I hadn't known about at all let alone considered yet, and that I need to revise some of my work habits with considerable forethought.

For example, you've made clearer to me now what Starson said earlier - about converting everything all the time not necessarily being good. That is actually beginning to sink in now and make sense to me, and I'm sorry I responded defensively earlier rather than thinking more about it and considering ramifications.

Another example. I had noticed I had a personal internal conflict and a time conflict between just reading books (the ultimate purpose) and learning/doing relevant technical stuff. You clarified that. So to achieve general happiness my first consideration following your post has to be to decide what camp I want to be in, the compulsive readers or the compulsive fixers. (Taking compulsivity as a given in my case.) Or both, with some sort of time-sharing….

Also, I've already experienced similar desire to go back and fix things because by that point I'd learned how to do something, but older books in the library had previously slipped past that "new" fix and needed to be redone. The lack of consistency in the library bothered me enough to iteratively spend considerable time refixing refixed fixes. So now that point is beginning to sink in….

EDIT: And I hadn't even thought at all about technology and formats evolving. That is a huge wrinkle in the tapestry of "potentially ideal" work habits.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-11-2011 at 07:50 PM.