View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Making analogies helps understand a situation. In this particular case it ended up showing that you don't consider age discrimination to be on the same level with other forms of discrimination, to the point where you don't consider it illegal.
It's really not a matter of whether or not one "considers" it to be illegal. It is not illegal. That's not a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact.

Quote:
My reasoning regarding the lie is this: what matters is if the actor can play the part. Because of that, the actual age of the actor should have no influence on the decision to hire the actor. So lying about one's age shouldn't matter at all, and therefore it can't be characterized as fraudulent.
My dictionary defines "fraud" as:

Quote:
Deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage.
This was deceit (lying about her age) perpetrated for profit (gaining work she would not otherwise have been considered for), so it certainly seems to me to fit the definition of "fraud".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote