View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 02:42 AM   #56
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
"I would like to improve two column PDF files from journals so they read still better on my reader than what I am getting on PDFrasterFarian. I wish I could scroll around a page with the reader."

Scrolling is completely impossible unless you start loading custom firmware onto the Reader. No one has done anything like that yet, although I think people have figured out ways how it could be programmed in theory. What I'd really like to see is firmware that lets you use the reader as an auxiliary display for the PC. With the processing done on the computer, ink-speed page flips and scrolling would be a piece of cake. Anyway, do you have any other ideas to improve PDFfrasterFarian's output besides scrolling? Have you tried quarters-of-a-page mode? It's very good for two-column documents.

Anyway, I'm done rewriting the dilate filter from scratch using c++ and c# so that autoimager is no longer needed. It even works faster. I'll bundle it up and release as the next 2.1.x. I also plan to rewrite the 8bit->2bit dithering step so that it outputs precise values (0, 85, 170, 255). imageMagick (the other graphics exe) doesn't do this right, often affecting contrast and image quality. While I'm at it, i'll also redo the resize step to see if using another algorithm can produce clearer, cleaner output than the resize+unsharp imageMagick combo I use now.

Stingo... nope, not a clue. Please post the pdf.

eldel... technically, "promptless mode" is very easy to implement. All the pieces are in place for passing defaults via the commandline, except the part where it shuts up and doesn't ask you any questions. No one has really requested this feature before so I didn't get around to implementing it, but I'll try putting this in the next 2.x release.

Last edited by alex_d; 02-23-2007 at 02:46 AM.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote