View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #910
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
- Where in BFR do I find the browser for downloading ebooks or any other facility for manually downloading ebooks?
mb--Ah, I interpreted that as supporting downloads initiated by links in the browser on the device. Bluefire registers the epub mime type with the OS when installed, which will include Bluefire in the list within the "Open In" Browser dialog for links to EPUB in web pages.
MIME type support is the "Other Import" method "eMail". It's not the perfect term, of course, but it's what most people understand.

Quote:
We also support "scheme" links (bluefirereader://download/<url to epub> that when tapped in the browser will directly launch the app and begin downloading the epub. Also, we support a bluefirereader://nav/web/<url of site/library> that allows epub distributors to offer links for browsing their site within a web view of the app. This results in one-tap downloading of EPUBs, including from public libraries. Perhaps I misunderstood the nature of that category. If so, please clarify, and if necessary, I will update to remove.
That could either be a kind of "Other Import" or "Manual Downloading". See below.

Quote:
- How do I download epubs using BFR which are not part of any store or library? ("ePub Downloading" would have to be "Yes" for, e. g. iBooks, too, otherwise)
mb-- please see my answer above. I'm not clear on exactly how this differs from the category above.
Here's an explanation for every column in "Book source management features":
- Book store(s): Either a professional store (which would be a "Yes") or some kind of limited library ("Yes2"). Feedbooks for example fits that as a "Yes2".

- Book search: The app allows for searching for ebooks. Typically, if the value of "Book store(s)" is "Yes" or "Yes2", this will have "Yes", too.

- Epub downloading: Does the app have any kind of UI for actively (in-app) importing ebooks from 3rd-party sources (IOW: *not* only the integrated book store)? I think, BFR does not allow for that at the moment.

- Browser downloading: Does the app have an integrated web browser for downloading ebooks from arbitrary web sites?

- Manual downloading: Does the app allow for other weird ;) methods of getting ebooks. I2Reader has an FTP facility for example.

- OPDS catalog: This is rather important - does the app allow for adding 3rd-party OPDS catalogues. This is not meant to duplicate the "Book Store(s)" value. BFR doesn't support this feature yet.

- Other import via: Any other means of getting ebooks into the app that are important enough not to be "Manual downloading".

- Tag books: Does the app allow for assigning tags/categories/etc.?

- Sort books: Can books be sorted in the library?
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote