View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #104
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Then he would have said "Apple had ordered 19 million...", surely?

He is not claiming that Apple ordered 19 million, he is claiming that Apple were going to order 19 million, but didn't.
No, it was a manner of speaking. Semantics. He is claiming that at some point, Apple told these multiple vendors that they would be ordering 19 million screens in January. And that they subsequently told the vendors to cut the amount by 5 to 8 million. Apple may actually have put through the order in writing initially.

Quote:
It would be a good increase on their previous figures.
In the equivalent quarter last year, Apple sold 35 million iPhones, or a bit under 12 million per month. And that was their second best quarter ever. Across the whole of 2012, they sold 10.5 million per month.
Why? If they are ordering by the month, which appears to be the case, then they can adjust their orders month by month. You wouldn't know how the numbers compared to previous quarters until all orders were in for that quarter. But the very fact that they cut the number previously ordered seems to indicate that demand may be lower than they expected.

The 19 million number is consistent with past quarters in the sense that it is not wildly over the amounts previously sold.

Quote:
I expected to go to work today.
I went to work today.
One of those statements is true, the other is not.
They are clearly two very different claims.
He is not claiming a measurable fact (what Apple had ordered), he is claiming knowledge of their intent (what they expected to order).
I called my local bakery last week Monday to order 20 pies for a party next week.
Two days later I call back and cut that amount to 10.
My baker tells his staff: "Pat had expected to order 20 pies for a party but cut that amount to 10."

Sounds fine to me.

It's a manner of speaking.

Quote:
You seem to be putting an awful lot of blind faith in this story.
No more blind faith than anyone else who takes at face value a story that has been independently verified and repeated by almost all major news outlets.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 01-17-2013 at 02:19 PM.