View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Actually, I don't really agree. Currently <em> displays as italic and <strong> displays as bold, but that might change later. It is semantic but says nothing about layout and is not consistent. It might be better to use a <span> tag and style that as italic or bold.
As for myself, this is one of the few exceptions where I let layout markers in my XHTML file, I still use <i> and <b>... I know it is depreciated, but I feel it has a better meaning.
<b> and <i> are not deprecated in html 5 according to w3schools. For a long time I used <i> and <b> because I just couldn't see the sense of using such a long <span> to indicate a style. Then I jumped on the separation of style and structure train.

Now I use <em> and <strong> with a css style - although the css is just restating the default value of most of today's devices/apps, it specifies how I want it to look so I don't rely on browser's default values.

em {font-style:italic}
strong {font-weight:bold}

It saves a lot of space in the html document, allows easy change in the future if someone wants to change the styling, and aligns with current standard practice.

Last edited by Turtle91; 01-25-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote