View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #390
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The fact that 3rd party apps can detect the presence of root and act differently is beyond the point, as those are 3rd party apps and hence not part of the system as designed - hence the behaviour of the system is unchanged, hence not hacked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
This. I don't see a problem if I can root the tablet a get it work the way I want it. For me it's no different than to removing DRM of a book to read it on device of your choice or change the font type or cover.
The example I gave was a core functionality, not a 3rd party app. As if that made a difference. If an unsupported 'enhancement' has the potential to break supported functionality (third party or not), then it's a double good reason why it's not an appropriate solution for most users, and unless you regression tested the system with the root in place, as consumers should expect vendors to do with supported 'enhancements', then that potential is quite real, and requesting that that enhancement be included in the next rev of the product is the better approach for most people.
But even if it doesn't break anything, the mere fact that it's NOT a supported hack--er--'enhancement' means it is not the best choice for most consumers, and add to that the fact that rooting is still significantly harder than stripping DRM, and some people can't even handle that.

Plus, while hacking--er--implementing unsupported system ehancements--is fine for hackers--er--unofficial ehancement implimentors, requesting that the feature we want be official, and making purchase decisions based on those supported features, helps drive the market in the direction we want it to go, much like buying DRM-free ebooks is a good thing, even if stripping DRM is trivial.

Last edited by ApK; 08-13-2012 at 10:13 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote