View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #38
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The Chris SIL fonts as modified by JSWolf are a heavier font which, in my opinion, does look better on the eInk display especially in poorer lighting. I've found that many of the standard PC fonts which look good on my laptop or desktop display look too light on the Kobo. Unfortunately, the font tweaking capability of the Kobo only applies to the built-in fonts at this time.

Regards,
David
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
semibold

I have had the opportunity to open a Kindle set of fonts. I remarked that, contrary to the Kobo set, all the regular fonts were in fact semibold. Of course, they look probably darker on the screen but I consider this not to be needed.

I will try to use semibold fonts to replace not regular but bold fonts (and semibold italic to replace bold italic)
Yes, I agree that a slightly heavier font looks better on e-ink screens.
If available choose a font family with a "medium" (thickness 500) font to replace the regular and italic styles. Medium fonts are slightly bigger than regular (400) and thinner than semibold (600). This gives good results.

Optical size
BTW, the Minion Pro font scales poorly on my KT. Giving awfull looking, uneven letter heights.
Replacing Minion Pro with Minion Pro Subhead gives much better scaling results.
When modifying fonts, first test which optical font size looks best on your Touch or Glo to get the best results.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote