Thread: Literary Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
But we enjoy watching your brain work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
More and more I can make an argument for Lowe-Porter; after all, she worked in collaboration with Mann for many years on her translations of his work. When it comes to the ancients, you can't get too modern for me, but with a work that's relatively recent, I'm not sure we're not better off with a translation of its time as having more of the flavor of the original.
Have fun!
issybird, I regret to say that I think you are right, where the regret comes from returning the Lowe-Porter to the library before leaving for some travel, as they had only one copy and I was afraid they would recall it. I am only at Part III, but it feels somehow too "hip". Not sure whether I want to read both translations,
but I think once I touch base again I'll have comparisons here and there.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote