View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Lazaras
Enthusiast
Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Question Should i get a touch and Root?

I like my old nook classic, but the screen is basically useless after something caused the corner to start to delaminate and the damage spread to the lower half.

So might pick u pa touch. However i also want to root it for expanded functionality. Sure it won't be THAT 'awesome' as a tablet but what i want it to do is pretty sparce. Just double checking ot make sure what i want can/has been done. I know all of this is very possible with android (hell it's common) Just I'm not sure if the nook can do these even with theoretical access to the full app library.

notepad/writespace/Q10 like app. I do not need full blown google docs and would rather something that can work offline and write to a file i could pull off the nook onto my computer without needing to dropbox or gdrive or the like.

A better PDF reading experience as I've heard stock nook touch doesn't handle PDF that well.

IM/AIM (would be nice but not vital.)

Text Adventure parcer/interpreter. Something that can read the old infocom titles, or whatever the if community is churning out that's compatible with the infocom format (there is a lot of potential material here.)

MUSH/MUD client. I know it won't be great, but being able to keep touch or short scenestuff would be nice.

Would a rooted touch be able to do these things? Had herd you can tell the hardware button to act as a toggle between nook's stock behavior and full on rooted desktop. That'd be pretty spiffy to have. Why do this instead of save up for a 'proper' tablet? well it's far cheaper (less function but STILL.) theoretically longer battery life. And most importantly nobody will want to constantly borrow it.

Last edited by Lazaras; 01-19-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Lazaras is offline   Reply With Quote