View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Windows 8 eReaders?

So, the 17" laptop died, and I really didn't need another laptop. A 20" screen sounded nice, and so, an HP Envy 20" Touchsmart AIO. I managed to get the laptop to disgorge its hard disk, duct-taped it into a 3.5-inch eSATA enclosure (it was a 2.5-inch) and pumped the laptop's 320 Gb over to the Envy's 1 Tb (it fit OK). Now I have all these ebooks.

Sigh. (OK, an embarrassment of riches is not really a tough problem compared to global warming or world peace.)

With Win8 you can have applications which run on notMetro or applications which run on the traditional Windows desktop. On the desktop, I wound up (for the moment) with my old friend fbreader and CoolReader, which I like on my Android handheld. Those cover almost all the possibilities. I think they're actually cousins under the skin, but they both have their virtues and faults and the two cover almost everything I need.

That leaves what to do in notMetro. I found quite a few epub options. Freda is good, and, surprisingly, so is Overdrive. I also like the look of Liberty. There's also one called Book Bazaar that holds some promise. Nothing for prc, mobi, pdb, fb2 or the other formats.

Does anyone have suggestions for Win8 notMetro (Modern?) ereader programs which handle anything other than epub?

Thanks,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote