View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Queensjoy
Nameless Being

I'm new to Android - tips?

Hello, readers.

I'm new to Android (though I'm already a dedicated convert!), and there are so many options for e-reading apps that I haven't got any idea what to choose! I use Calibre to manage my (DRM-free) collection, and up until now I've owned a Kobo Touch and a Kindle 3 for my ebooks. The majority of them are .epub, but I have no issues with converting the remaining .mobi/.azw files that came from Amazon.

I'm running a MacBook Pro, operating on OS X Version 10.8.4. I will in the future be using a custom-made Sager laptop running Windows 8.

I'd like to avoid downloading store-specific apps - I shop around extensively and will thus end up downloading plenty of apps, as well as an app for books acquired from places such as Baen Books, Collins Booksellers and Project Gutenberg - why cloud-manage some when I can sideload them all into one app?

I know that there are an enormous amount of reading apps, and that's where my problem is - it's going to take me a lot of time to download and test them all, so if you guys can help me get a shortlist going, that would be excellent!
  • I'd prefer a free lite version of whichever app to be available so that I can 'try before I buy', so to speak.
  • I don't like sepia pages when I read on friends' tablets (admittedly, iPads) - I prefer crisp white, and have no strong feelings one way or the other about 'night mode'.
  • I'm not specific about fonts, and will find myself happy with Georgia, Amasis or any other serif font available. I also have glasses and so I don't need very big font.
  • I'm using a Nexus 7, so I don't have much screen real estate - an app with small margins would be great!
  • Shelving, collections, some way to manage my books would be excellent. I like to categorise by which store I've bought them from. I don't mind whether it's in-app collection or a calibre plug-in; I've done both (calibre plug-in for the Kindle and in-device for the Kobo).
  • I live in Australia, so apps that are specific to America are unfortunately useless to me - I've heard the Nook app is pretty!

As a last point, I know this is off-topic, but you guys seem really plugged-in about these things: Netflix, Hulu, etc are geo-restricted out of Australia. Are there video streaming alternatives, what's the international Google Play video store like, or, how should I go about transferring iTunes movies to my Nexus 7?

Thank you so much! Read on, my new friends.

Last edited by Queensjoy; 09-06-2013 at 07:11 AM. Reason: information about current computer operating system.