Thread: Punctuation
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
In my experience, there are two common styles. One is to use em dashes—but without spaces—for interrupting text, and the other is to use en dashes – but with spaces – for interrupting text.

But if the spaces around emdashes were really hairline, maybe I just haven't noticed.

I don't think there's a difference between the UK and US here; just a difference between different publishers. Regarding my own publications, some of those published in the US and been done done one way and some the other, and some of my publications published in the UK have been done one way and some the other.

Personally I’ve been moving more and more in the direction of just using the actual characters, saved in utf-8, rather than the HTML character codes. (In part because this makes conversions between formats easier.) All recent (X)HTML-rendering programs should support either one.

Last edited by frabjous; 04-12-2010 at 02:27 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote