View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualdxs View Post
Hello, all. I am trying to set up an EchoLink Proxy on my Kindle, which is a jar file. I thought this would be easy, since I knew that the Kindle was built on about half Java. However, it seems that the Kindle doesn't have the 'java' command. So will it be easy to make a Kindlet out of the attached jar file?

Note: The .jar file needs access to the .conf file.
It should not be terribly difficult, but it won't be totally trivial either.

Here's some background:

The Kindles do indeed come with a JVM. In fact, (almost) the entire framework frontend is written in Java. So, when a Kindle runs, there is already a running JVM.

Kindlets are then simply classes which are loaded at runtime, and which can "take over" the screen - using a predefined API, and normally with restricted functionality (but the latter part can be overcome with the Kindlet Jailbreak).

I have not tried your jar file (in fact, I don't even know what echolink is), but you have two possibilities:

1. Figure out how to start a second JVM which runs your jar file. On a "real" computer, that would usually be "java -jar myapp.jar", but the Kindle cvm may need different parameters. You should be able to figure them out by looking at the output of "ps wwwaux|grep cvm".

2. Write a proper Kindlet which bundles your jar, and calls the respective functionality. That may be a lot trickier, especially for jars which rely on the console (System.in, System.out, etc) and/or which require unrestricted functionality (network I/O via Sockets etc).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote