View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
At least in Europe, they will not be able to claim those rights. Here, the law supersedes ANY Terms of Service or End User License Agreement. If I publish something, somewhere, I have the copyright, and you're not allowed to use the publication in any way, except when I clearly state that you can do so.
I knew that; I assume they know that (hence the careful phrasing of the TOS) but are trying to imply they have more rights than they do.

Quote:
I rather can't believe that this would be otherwise in the US. It's impossible to believe that a company can state that they are free to do whatever they want, with anything you publish on whatever site.
With anything you publish *publicly*. Important distinction. And of course, that only applies to their users, not "other people with the same names as our users," which would make it hard to support any actual content-grabbing.

Quote:
That TOS is impossible, as this company would practically be able to own the information in the entire internet, by stating that it was posted by one of its users.
The claim isn't enough to make it true. However, yeah, the TOS is awful.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote