View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #23767
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
If today was not an crooked highway
If tonight was not an crooked trail
If tomorrow wasn't such a long time
Then lonesome would mean nothing to me at all

Yes and only if my own true love was waiting
If I could hear her heart softly pounding
If only she was lying by me
Then I'd lie in my bed once again

I can't see my reflection in the water
I can't speak the sounds that show no pain
I can't hear the echo of my footsteps
I can't remember the sound of my own name

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq1NXeQv1io )

Good morning, everyone! Happy Monday! I have some East India Company's "Keemun Downy Bud" in my cup, a plate full of hummus, Kalamata olives and left-over Tandoori chicken on my plate, and a big list of chores to get done today. These need to be worked into a 10k walk through downtown Osaka... somehow... Then getting back and finishing up papering the fusuma and shoji. Where is the relaxation an old man is supposed to find?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
So, basically, tradition is very hard, if not impossible, to change in Japan.
Dreams... you can NOT know just how accurately you have described Japanese culture!!! Almost every facet of existence here is ruled by tradition, from clothing, law, work ethic, housing, even playing games. Due to the influence of Western music and films, and the emergence of the Internet, there have been more changes made in the past 10 years than in the past 100.

When meeting people, men will exchange business cards. This is NOT like the West, where a business card is simply a convenient way to give someone your contact information. This is used to tell the Japanese who has to bow more deeply. A business card here states what company you work for and your position in that company. So if you work for Joe Smith Mfg as a middle mgt person, you must bow more deeply when meeting John Doe, a middle mgt person working for Sony or Panasonic because those are bigger companies. It's important to know who has to bow more deeply... And business cards are NEVER just put into your pocket or purse! And God forbid you should put it into your wallet and sit on it!!! No... they are studied for 10-20 seconds, some inane question is ALWAYS asked, such as 'so is this your office phone?' (right where it says 'office phone,) then placed in a special business card holder that every man carries with him.

As they sang in 'Fiddler on the Roof,' "Tradition!!"

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote