View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #35
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
There's a problem with this so-called "upgrade path". Quite a few of us have media players (iPod touche/ Galaxy Player) instead of smartphones, because we refuse to pay for data plans.
I don't have an cellular data plan either--just data for TXT messages, no mobile email. That is why I have a high maintenance Android phone rather than an iPhone--iphones require a data plan. However, you and I are SOL as the trend seems to be to push us into the cloud, and without a parachute I might add! I think the push to the clouds is why none of our new devices from Apple, Amazon, and Google have SD card slots. I'm afraid the big boys are saying in effect, "Either use our cloud or do without!" Its pretty much extortion in my opinion.

As far as Apple possibly coming out with a smaller iPad (or larger iPod touch) goes, I'll believe it when I see it. I hope they do as i love my iPad and my iPod touch much better than all the Android devices I've ever owned. But I fear that all we will get this year will be a slightly larger touch with a 4 inch screen, if we even get that. Rumors are going about that the next iPhone will have a 4 inch screen, so that is why I think it might also get put on the touch. After all, 3.5 inch screens are way too small these days.

I personally would prefer a new iPod touch with a 5 inch screen and a battery that will actually last more than 2 to 3 hours over a 7 inch iPad, but I'm probably one of the few who thinks that way. A 5 inch touch would be pocketable unlike a 7 inch iPad. I already own a 9.7 inch iPad and all the 7 inch tablets I owned were too small. I hate to agree with Jobs, I hated that jerk and the Apple culture of fanboism in general, but for my experience a tablet smaller than the iPad is just too small for internet browsing, document editing, spreadsheets, etc. Perhaps 7 inch tablets are okay for books, games and audio, but that is about all.