View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumi View Post
Hi,

I know about the rationale behind calibre not supporting custom folder arrangements on the computer, and Kovid's reasoning that Calibre's interface is superior to any folder organization makes sense to me.

I wonder, however, if there's a way to customize the way calibre stores books on external devices. Case in point: Bookeen's new Mobipocket firmware supports folder navigation, but calibre's tree is less than ideal for that. E.g. it's inconvenient that each book is in its own folder, that there's no way to figure out which books belong to the same series and in which order they should be read, etc.

I noticed that it's possible to customize folder structure by using the export dialog. Obviously, I could just use that to save books on the Cybook, but it'd be much more elegant, if the file structure for calibre's "Send to device" function could be customized.

Is that already possible, and - if not - could it be implemented at all, or are there technological or design-philosophical barriers?

Thanks again for a great piece of software, Kovid!
Calibre is great.
I warped the file output to make my device usable to myself because it had no other provision except folders and Human Memory to locate titles.

Use the Save to Disk (customizable in Preferences) instead of the save to device. My top level is Series (or dummy: 00NoSeries)
I use the series_index as a prefix to the title (folder)(and the Calibre id as a suffix, just because...).
The various Title formats-pieces go into the folder (and that was the only place I included the Authors name as it could mess the sort up).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote