View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I'd gotten the impression that the iPad was great for letter/A4-sized PDFs, despite not quite being the same size; they show up fine at full screen and zooming covers any detailed checking that needs to happen.
Yes, that's absolutely true. The screen resolution is so good that even small text is easily readable, and the instant zoom makes it easy to zoom in and scroll around if you need the extra detail.

Quote:
According to the OP here, the problem would be battery life and weight, and likely a lack of support for multiple filetypes on the program with good annotations. Size & weight are going to be directly related to screen size; battery capacity is going to relate to display options, and while we'd all love a program that reads, bookmarks & annotates multiple formats at once (modified Calibre app, anyone?) I suspect that different options for different filetypes is going to remain more common.
I honestly don't think you need extensive format support for academic use. Like it or loath it, the academic world works with PDF. It's the standard used for pretty much everything. I get a good 10h actual usage from my iPad - easily a full day's work - and that's with extensive web browsing, and other such power-hungry activities. I think personally that's enough, although I'm sure that some might disagree.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote