View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #344
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Let me say first that it was not my idea and just a little side project to see if I can get a VNC viewer running. I can't promise support, but I'll happily answer some questions.

Then, a fair warning: VNC is nice, and it can make a substitute for a PC monitor, but you will have to sacrifice some things. Like display speed (really an issue for mouse movements!), but there are other things. Naturally, Video output and low-contrast images are a problem, too.

Regarding your question: It depends (as always). Probably, you can get VNC viewers running on lots of different e-ink devices. Whether there are ones that are ready to use will depend on the device. I guess Android-based ones (Sony?) are a bit easier in that regard. For some readers, there might not even be hacks to run your own software. I can't really give recommendations for certain devices - all I ever tried were the KDX (which is slow) and the K3 (which is small).

I'm not aware of a "virtual monitor VNC server" for Windows 8. But then I did not search for such a thing either. Personally I used Linux because I knew there is Xvnc and that it would do the job. But be warned that the "host side", i.e. Windows or Linux, does need its share of hacking, too. No solutions there that would be designed to work out-of-the-box.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote