Thread: Touch Power code regression?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #68
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I just went back through all the current battery threads and from what I counted it looks like maybe a maximum of 5 people reporting severe drain like you and Mrs Often are experiencing.
I'm surprised it's that few to be honest. It certainly sounds like more but I haven't actually counted myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
it suggests there is something with content/usage/settings of individual users that's causing the issue rather than a widespread hardware or firmware issue. I think that's why Peter was asking the question.
Well quite - all questions are legitimate in attempting to solve a gnarly issue by a process of elimination. So let me expand on my reply to PeterT.

1. I've had two "new" touches - can both have faulty hardware? Unlikely though far from impossible.

2. I haven't applied any non-standard hacks. So any peculiar behaviour arising from a specific combination of Kobo supplied settings chosen by the user (e.g. font, justification, page refresh etc) would still be classed as a firmware problem. It's just that the bug will have been found by a user rather than Kobo developers/testers and Beta testers. This is plausible.

3. As Mrs_Often has also pointed out, there is a marked difference in power usage between old and new Touch devices even though they are used/tested in the same fashion. Indeed after setting the same firmware revision (2.1.5) I have fully charged both devices, applied the same settings and the new device will still be dead long before the old one. This kind of scuttles point 2 EXCEPT there is still a slight difference in firmware between old and new touches even at the same revision level. Hence firmware again.

So from my perspective either both new devices are faulty (bad batch?) or there's a genuine power usage issue in the new touch/glo firmware. Now as I've pointed out previously, battery life is number one for me, so perhaps I would notice it more than other users? I don't know - which was why I posted in the first place.
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote