View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
First of all, of course, any govermental mandates can be over reactive. I speak not to the obvious, but to the following.

Perhaps where you live, you do not have pedophiles, or those who love to hurt children.

Here, just a month ago, a 7 year old and his 9 year old brother went to a neighborhood park by themselves. less than a block from their home. And bear in mind, this is one of the safer areas of the county.

They were found less than an hour later, bludgeoned to death with an aluminum baseball bat, and the perp lived in the neighborhood and didnt' even know them. He just felt like doing that. He is 'under observation', and will most likely spend some time in a mental hospital instead of being shot like the animal he is. Wait. Thats an insult to animals. There is no word for this monster.

I quote this obscenity, because no matter where you live, it is not safe to let your children run free. Crap like this, It happens EVERY DAY.

This isn't the world of 'yesterday' I ran the streets 50 years ago also. Look around, read the papers.

Why they shouldn't, indeed.

I ran/cycled the streets 40-50 years ago, and the fields/woods without (obvious) harm. BUT I agree with the statement that 'safe' is a relative term - and that there is vastly more media attention to the issue now-adays. 40-50 years ago, Moira Hindley and her boyfriend were equal to the stories we hear these days. Media attention is more intimate, intrusive and altogether too instant, makes repeats more likely imho - sheep following sheep (and that's an insult to sheep!).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote