View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
This assumes that the demand function is linear and most economists would suggest it behaves as if it is linear for small changes. But, what you have quoted is a large change.
That is what Coker is claiming and one of the reasons I suggested keeping the salt handy.
(The implications if those numbbers are anywhere near accurate...)

The thing is, Smashwords has a deep catalog on most of the major ebook retailers and they know exactly how well they sell (revenue listing) and they have access to the sales ranking lists at Amazon and elsewhere so they can see how their titles perform compared to their competitors'.

So while I'm supicious of the actual numbers, I don't think they can be dismissed outright. The underlying principle rings true.

I don't think any $2.99 title is going to outsell any $9.99 title but I could see how a random "basket" of $2.99 titles in a given genre could outsell an equal number of randomly-picked $9.99 titles by comparable authors; say newcomer to newcomer or midlister to midlister.

Not sure who could run such a drill outside the vendors and publishers, though.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-27-2012 at 06:49 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote