View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGReader View Post
I suppose the answer is no. I can't even get Safari, Firefox, or Opera to convert adjacent letters to ligatures.
Actually, for me this does work with Firefox (3.5.8 for linux). I switched from Hoefler Text (which I don't have) to Sorts Mill Goudy, but otherwise used your xhtml code. (This is a freely available font, as are all the ones on that site.)

I couldn't get it to work in Chromium or Opera, though. Safari doesn't exist for linux.

Is your version of Hoefler Text OpenType or AAT? I wonder if that makes a difference.

In any case, the fact that this already happens for any major browser (especially an Open Source one) leaves reading device manufacturers with no excuses for not implementing it on their end!

Quote:
None of the fonts Microsoft puts out, except for the newer OpenType fonts, have any ligatures in them, and none of Microsoft's Core fonts for the Web have ligatures.
On my system, most of these have the fi and fl ligatures, but not the ff, ffl or ffi (or rarer) ligatures -- and this includes Times New Roman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGReader View Post
frabjous, I love the Century Gothic font. I set up my Safari preferences for this font, but I rarely see Web pages that are coded without font faces, so I rarely get to see it on the Web. But maybe I should consider adding my own style sheet. I used to have one merely to suppress hyperlink underlining, but maybe I should revise it to force my preferred font.
The font in the screenshot is URW Gothic L, which is similar to Century Gothic, though from what I've seen, not identical. I don't use Safari, so I don't know how easy it is to use custom stylesheets, but Stylish makes it very easy to do it for Firefox, and you can do it pretty easily in Chrome too. I kind of went nuts making stylesheets for all the sites I visit often when I first discovered Stylish, and I used a different font for each. Actually, Gothic is starting to annoy me, so I'll probably change it soon.

Last edited by frabjous; 02-26-2010 at 11:12 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote