Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #905
SharonK
Enthusiast
SharonK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Angry Calibre and OPDS usage problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I have no problem with this now Marvin supports OPDS catalogs.

I have nearly 5000 books in my Calibre library which I store in Dropbox. I have created a catalog with Calibre2OPDS which is also stored in Dropbox. I have put this catalog into the list of OPDS catalogs in my Marvin app and I now have access to all of my books (at least up to the last update of my catalog) wherever I have wifi access. I update my catalog every couple of weeks, but could do it more regularly. I always can resort to the Dropbox app for anything I know I downloaded since the last catalog update.

Calibre2OPDS is much more helpful in finding books than the Dropbox app itself as books can be found under Authors, Tags, Series, Recent additions, Rating, All books (I don't use this, but is a list of titles). Each of these is sub-divide alphabetically or by date as appropriate. Brilliant - not only can I find a specific book I am looking for, but I can also browse my library for a book to suit my fancy at that particular time!
I've been looking at Marvin, downloaded the program and want to start moving my books over to use there. It looks like a fantastic ereader app. I'm pretty savvy for many things connected with the computer, but as yet I don't understand this OPDS thing (or connecting via WiFI). I've learned how to convert books to ePub, so I assume it's just learning these other processes. But I did run across information that Dropbox is canceling accounts for OPDS users, found here - http://calibre2opds.com/2012/04/30/d...re2opds-users/ . Before I edit my Calibre metadata and try to understand how to import books from Calibre to Marvin, could someone address this issue for me? Does anyone have more information on this? I love Dropbox and really don't want to lose it!