View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
Almost everyone talks about Calibre, how neat it is but I have no clue what I can do with it?
I have my Sony PRS-T1 device, buy most of my books from Kobo store (or Sony ereader store but it is less user friendly I find, and price is same or sometimes higher than Kobo store). Buy books on my computer or directly on my ereader. Also I borrow books from public library.
That's all. Do I miss something?
I installed Calibre on my Mac but now what?
Add all your books from your different sources to it and use as a catalog... Instead of the Sony or Kobo store. Amongst other things, I use it to decide what I'm going to put on my readers next: it has cover art, the summary of the book, tags, can be searched and can be sorted in multiple ways. It is my "backup" copy of each book as well, directly on my computer. If you only have a few hundred books, I guess you could live without it, but when you have thousands it's definitely a "must". It has saved me from buying duplicates several times as I buy from multiple stores.
And that's apart from all the modifications you can make to your books. Also,with certain "tools" from "Apprentice Alf" you can remove the DRM which allows you to read books across several devices regardless of format (ie books purchased from Amazon on your Sony). I could go on much longer but these are the things I personally use it most for...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote