View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I don't know why, but my reading "education" from school didn't cover novel at all. I guess they figured that our attention span ended with novellas, and usually novelettes. Didn't affect me much, as I had access to novels at home.

I must mention some short stories, as they are as important as novels.

Shirley Jackson - The Lottery
Ernest Hemingway - A Clean, Well Lighted, Place
John Steinbeck - The Pearl
Edgar Allen Poe - Tales of Mystery and Imagination
??? - The Man Without A Country
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - The first dozen Sherlock Holmes Stories
Mark Twain - The Man Who Corrupted Hadlyburg

These are ones that "stick out" in my mind. I read so much on my own that I really don't remember much about the class reading from school.

And poetry - Poets rather than individual poems.

Ogden Nash
Carl Sandberg
e. e. cummings
W.S. Gilbert (of Gilbert and Sullivan fame)
Colridge
Robert Frost
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Rudyard Kipling
Emily Dickenson

poems (because I can't remember the poets)

Minniver Cheevy

And Plays -

Shakespeare (of course) but also...

The Mikado
Our Town
Twelve Angry Men
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote