View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Kobo or Kindle? I would opt for some sort of tablet device that allows you to have various reader apps. (I use and enjoy both. I buy books from Kobo and Sony and Amazon, and I borrow library books from libraries that don't offer formats for Kindles, so I do think I have a lot of options.)
Tablets have back-lit LCD displays, which is hugely different from unlit or front-lit e-ink device. I wouldn't recommend a tablet as a primary reading device, though not everyone gets eye strain from reading on LCD displays. (I've done so for years, but an e-ink display for reading is like sitting down on a fluffy pillow after you spent the past five decades on a hardwood bench.)

Personally, I prefer Kobo over Kindle, but that is in part because most of my e-books are in epub format and I don't want to format them all. I also dislike that you can't turn off the light on the Paperwhite, and I don't want to have to jailbreak my e-reader just to sideload books via Calibre. (And I want to be able to use memory cards.)

I buy e-books from all sorts of places and manage them in Calibre (Kobo handles shelves fine, too). I also picked up a Bookeen for the page turn button, but I haven't received it yet. For me, I definitely want frontlight and 6" or smaller, and native epub support. Physical page-turn buttons are a plus.

Since you had a Kobo, I'd just stick with the brand, or at least with a epub reader.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote