View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
question about copyright / public domain (Frigyes Karinthy)

I found a couple of texts by Frigyes Karinthy whom i mentioned in the "obscure books" thread, and i wanted to upload them.

they are : the novel Please, Sir ! and a short story in this collection here (i don't know about the pd status of the other authors in the collection, so i probably would add the short story by Karinthy to the novel and make one ebook).

Karinthy died in 1938, so his work is PD in Canada already and will be in the US and France next year (if i have understood everything correctly...) however in this case the texts are translations, how does this work ? i have found reference to an István Farkas (translator of Please, Sir !) online but he was a hungarian painter, who died in 1944 ; i don't know if it is the same man.

there is a bibliography here, and scrolling down there is a list of "Foreign Language Publications" where i found mention of this version of Please, Sir ! however i don't really understand it. The information it gives is :
Quote:
Tanár úr kérem!
Please, Sir! Tr. by István Farkas.
Budapest: Corvina, 1968.
Berlin-Leipzig: Vogel, 1925.
Warsaw: Nasza Kriegaia, 1959.
Prague: Ceskoslov. spisovatel, 1959.
Tel Aviv: Éked, 1960.
Tallin: Ajalehtede Ajakinjade Kinjasten, 1960.
Bucharest: Ed. Tineretului, 1961.
Novi Sad: Forum, 1965.
Ozoir-La-Ferriére: In fine, 1992.
It is the correct version (translator István Farkas), however why so many dates ? are they dates of publication ?

it also mentions the short story :
Quote:
A cirkusz
Berlin: Reurs-Pollack, 1913.
Prague: Odeon, 1975; Dilic, 1959.
Brussels: Van Belberghe, 1995.
short version of my question, can i upload these texts ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote