View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The main source for information about MOBI is the wiki. The KindleUnpack folks generally keep it up to date so you don't have to read source files (unless you like that sort of thing).

Dale
Actually, although that is very true for the older mobi format, the newer KF8 is a lot more complicated with lots of indices and tables and documenting it all would be quite a chore. The best documentation is probably by code example from calibre and KindleUnpack. And I must admit when I first reversed engineered the KF8 (mobi 8) format I did not take the time to update the Wiki with what I found, although I probably should have.

When I get more time I will try to add to the Wiki a lot more on the internal Mobi 8 format, the new skeleton and fragment indices, the FDST table, the guide index, the new fields in the ncx , and with how the raw ml must be split and recombined to create the source, and how internal links with base 32 numbers must be processed. I can also expand on the PAGE sections and how to convert them to APNX files and lots on the HD CONT section and high res images.

Most of that is only documented in the KindleUnpack and calibre code at the moment.

In fact, having a wiki just dedicated to the Mobi 8 format with actual C and python code samples that shows exactly how to parse things would be quite useful.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote