View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Quote:
Angry Birds is pretty great. Hubby spends hours playing Drag Racing on his phone. I have to endure hearing it as I am trying to sleep. Yet I can't use a booklight?!?
I say you give him the smackdown on that But then again, that booklight complaint is one of the reasons you're getting the Fire, right? Let's argue for a new toy rather than mutual tolerance It looks like you're compromising, but really you're winning!

Although I'm not "pro-Fire," I agree that most of these reviewers just don't get it. The fact Amazon calls it a Kindle should say something, since that is their ereading brand and device line-up. B&N even made it clear in their marketing that the Nook Tablet isn't intended to be an iPad killer, but it's going directly for the Fire (and you could argue the Fire was actually going after the Nook, since that was the first concept).

And then there are all the "it's so boring and unoriginal, just a slightly modified Playbook." Um, duh? Amazon said from the launch that they were borrowing the Playbook in order to get the device out for the holidays and would be developing their own tablet down the road. You can critique the form factor, certainly, but don't whine that it's "unoriginal" when everyone knows that going in. I'll start calling you Captain Obvious.

I did see, I think it was Engadget or The Verge, that you CAN sideload non- Amazon market apps, but none of them worked as well as they should, so I'd assume that Amazon's UI is causing some interference, whether intentional or not. Makes sense. Developers often base their app compatibility off the unadulterated OS for widest use. Sounds like a two-way issue to me. Blossom, you might be okay with e-reading apps, since they tend be less intensive than other apps. Here's hoping!
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote