View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #34
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
I can only speak for myself here. I have no problem with contractions, although things like "I'd've" and "wouldn't've", disrupt my reading flow a bit because they are relatively uncommon.

What bugs me, personally, far more than contractions are people who can't keep their tenses straight or constantly mix up their homophones. In my opinion, if you can't keep things like they're/their/there, here/hear, or sole/soul straight, and you can't be bothered to employ an editor who can, you have no business inflicting your writing on the world.
Same here. English is my second/third language and contractions are perfectly natural to me.

But as also mentioned on page one, measurements are an entirely different beast. Most (Mainland-) Europeans know what a yard or an inch is but it still interrupts the reading flow.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote