View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #338
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxReader View Post
Are you saying that with the help of Sony's support staff you succeeded in updating your firmware, but that within ten minutes it crashed anyway? If so then it does sound like faulty hardware that will need to be sent back; once the firmware is updated the question of Linux or Windows shouldn't matter.

For what it is worth, here is how I updated my PRS-T1 using only Linux:
  1. Downloaded the updater file (PRS-T1_UPDATER_1.0.03.11140.EXE) from Sony's support site.
  2. Unzipped this file under Linux using the command:
    Code:
    unzip PRS-T1_UPDATER_1.0.03.11140.EXE
  3. Connected my PRS-T1 to my Linux PC with its USB cable (causing it to automount /media/SETTING and /media/READER).
  4. Copied one of the unzipped files (PRS-T1 Updater.package) to the /media/READER file system using the command:
    Code:
    cp 'PRS-T1 Updater.package' /media/READER/
  5. Waited for the copy to complete, and then unmounted /media/READER.
  6. Made sure the PRS-T1 had a reasonable charge.
  7. Disconnected the PRS-T1 from the USB cable.
  8. Powered down the PRS-T1 (a full power off to the blank screen).
  9. Held down both the home button and the menu button, and, while keeping them held, pressed the power button to turn on the PRS-T1.
  10. Waited until the PRS-T1 showed its boot screen, and then released the home and menu buttons.
  11. Waited for the update to complete, after which the PRS-T1 automatically rebooted.

My reader now reports itself (Settings/About/Device Information) as running version 1.0.03.11140, so the update appears to have worked for me.

Hope this helps someone, if not TerryAJ!
I wish these little things would be documented.... If I may ask, where did you get these instructions? (I'm not doubting it, I'm just curious how this info, which should have been in the readme, got out)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote