View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I bought a spare. Just in case. One never knows...
Semi-OT: My first ebook reader was a Handspring Visor PDA, bought around 2001. I used it for an unremembered length of time, then one day pulled it out of the case to find the screen broken. I lived without for years until in 2004, when I thought about looking for a replacement screen (I had kept the PDA) on Ebay, and ended up getting a whole replacement PDA for around a quarter of what I paid for the first one. Over the next several years, I'd sometimes watch Ebay for Handspring Visors and occasionally buy one or an auction of a few, sometimes for as low as $5.00 per PDA. I was able to swap parts between broken units to build working ones. I ended up with as many as around 10 working units plus spare parts at any one time. I think there was only one other time I broke a screen (minutes after switching a very nice, scratch-free screen onto the unit, when it slipped out of my shirt pocket when I bent down to pick up something that had fell on the floor) but I liked always having a few spares around, "just in case." Even had backup modules (the Visors had a Gameboy-like expansion slot in the back) so that I could in minutes configure a fresh PDA to match an old one.

I don't have a spare for my 350 (though I wish I did) but I still have that pile of old PDAs if worse comes to worst.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote