View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

We certainly are getting a number of great books proposed in short order. I will use the second of my nominations to put The Silent Steppe in to the fully nominated column. I will also third The 42nd Parallel. I well hold back my final nomination to have it available as things progress further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
If if pleases, I would like to nominate Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks.

Spoiler:
When an infected bolt of cloth carries plague from London to an isolated village, a housemaid named Anna Frith emerges as an unlikely heroine and healer. Through Anna's eyes we follow the story of the fateful year of 1666, as she and her fellow villagers confront the spread of disease and superstition. As death reaches into every household and villagers turn from prayers to murderous witch-hunting, Anna must find the strength to confront the disintegration of her community and the lure of illicit love. As she struggles to survive and grow, a year of catastrophe becomes instead annus mirabilis, a "year of wonders."

Inspired by the true story of Eyam, a village in the rugged hill country of England, Year of Wonders is a richly detailed evocation of a singular moment in history. Written with stunning emotional intelligence and introducing "an inspiring heroine" (The Wall Street Journal), Brooks blends love and learning, loss and renewal into a spellbinding and unforgettable read.

Amazon (US)
Amazon (UK)
B&N (US)
Kobo

Found also in many e-libraries through overdrive and is fulfilled in epub and even in Kindle format (for applicable regions/libraries). Even Australia hasn't missed out.

So availability shouldn't be too much of an issue.

This is the book I would have nominated if Australia had won the regional vote in November. I've wanted to read this book for a while and it would be lovely to discuss it with you all.
I had never heard anything about Year of Wonders, but the name Geraldine Brooks rang a bell. Checking I discovered that I had read Caleb's Crossing because it was the choice of a book club at my local library. Caleb, have you read this? What did you think of it? It occurs to me that you perhaps have read this and liked it so much that you picked Caleb as a screen name?