View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I will venture into this discussion for one reason. The importance of the blurb.

First a clarification:
If you are already a success and people are looking for your next work, just go back to your writing.

Otherwise pay close attention.

Blurbs are the single most important piece of writing most authors do and they usually don't do it that well.

There will be several blurbs for any book and sometimes many possibilities as to where to put them, and I count the front cover as a kind of blurb. There are the jacket spaces, the inside cover, the inside and outside of the back cover, the prologue, the sign in the store, the spiel on your or the publishers or sellers site, any place that you can get some words in. Every word is important and needs to be weighed as to whether it will pique interest in the reader. You need to take charge of all those chances to influence a buyer, unless you are positive that the person doing it is better at blurbs than you.

Every one of the blurbs should give information that is not just a rubber stand of the other blurbs. The wording will be about the book, about all your books, about you, about how your subject, your character, your world fits into the universe or into a small town or whatever. Each should have a different slant or add a bit of information to the pattern.

An interested reader should desire, but not need to check out each blurb just as he will desire to read each section of the book.

As for the above blurb, I get what the author is trying to say. The single most important thing I can say about the blurb itself is that the first person voice, the tone, the language and indeed the reasoning need to be more even, more readily character identifiable.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote