View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 AM   #5
Iain
Enthusiast
Iain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks for all your ideas!

What I've come up with is this.

Next to my office I have a small room in which my computers and my more favoured books live (mainly those books which I've bought in the last 10 years). This gets quite warm (computers) and has a fan to extract to the outside. So

I get a box of books from the garage (I should really do this with a mask and googles, but I'll stop short of a full on radiation suit!).
I get the books out and spread them untidily onto a table near the fan (and the computers). Unitdily to ensure there is air space between them as much as possible. I'm also bringing a second box in to sit there opened to warm up - this will then move to the airing phase when the airing books move on.

The airing box is re-boxed into a plastic crate and brought into my office. As and when time allows I drag out 10 books or so, guillotine them and put the de-spined books in yet another plastic crate.

Again as time allows, I take one despined book at a time out, put it through my scanner, and put it in a third box to wait for disposal.

I'd actually like to make a hood for the scanner with an extractor to my new airing cupboard, but things are a bit tender on the domestic front with regard to this project at the moment, so that will have to wait for more comfortable times!

I've only just started this approach up so I'm not sure how well it's going to work. It certainly doesn't entirely eliminate the issue, but it is much improved!

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote