View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Probably would need to make sure you didn't leave them in too long or at too high a heat though. As Ray Bradbury found out paper ignites at 451 farenheit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
The smell and allergic reactionss are caused by the moisture the books have absorbed and the subsequent mould that is forimg.

You need to remove the moisture.

You can use something to absorb the moisture - baking soda, charcoal, cat litter. Use a large airtight container and put the books and absorbent inside. Make sure they don't have any direct contact with each other. Seal the container and wait a few days (or weeks).

Alternatively, you could try forcibly drying the books by putting them in an oven at low heat. Unfortunately this would probably permeate the smell around the kitchen and house and further irritate your wife, so I suggest you get one of the mini fridge/warmers that are available and and dry the books in your garage.
Example - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...t%3EFRIDGE.htm - That's about the smallest you can get and hold six regular drinks cans. Larger ones are available.
Mini-fridge/warmers usually have a max temperature of ~65C so your bopoks shouldn't reach their flash point and burst into flames.
Combine with a timeswitch for unattended or overnight drying.
I'm not sure 'baking' your books would work, but people have been known to dry clothes using an oven so I don't see why it shouldn't work.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote