View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #4
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Deus... I did a little research on the net regarding that very issue. It seems that most 'experts' agree that the Translation by Constance Garnet (The one I posted) is the most readable and accurate within the parameters of compromises you would expect in the tricky business of translating art from one medium to another.

I downloaded the Sony connect version of the brothers k and didn't like it. It is the Constance Garnet version, (The same one I did ) but it has no table of contents and therefore no way to find some of my favorite parts in the book.

I just HAD to have a way to quickly find certain passages. The Grand Inquisitor and his conversation with Christ is for me an essential part of what it means to be truly free before God. A passage with such wisdom about how giving over your mind to religious authority in the name of freedom is actually giving up your freedom. How mankind wants magic and religious trappings that are mysterious and 'holy' and therefore unknowable, An actual shield between them and God rather than a way to grow close to God. Dostoevsky I think is saying people want religious baloney far more than they want the choice to love God freely from the heart.

Reading stuff like this keeps me from giving up my own autonomous thought processes in Church when a preacher says something really stupid. (Which doesn't happen as often as you would think really. At least in the Church I attend.)

Oops sorry, my mind went off chasing rabbits for a minute...

At any rate the version I posted is identical with the Sony connect text Except I put a coupla pics of Dostoevsky in there and a fully linked TOC.

And of course my signature photo of my wife at the end of every book I do.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote