View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #44
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The rub here is, you can't even define classic. If you consider Harry Potter and HHGTTG classics that's fine. Personally, I don't.
Common usage of the term classic does incorporate some variation of , to put it colloquially: “Still read and appreciated after all these years.”

It's fine with me to just let the votes decide what is or isn't appropriate for a month's category as long as I can say for the Fantasy month nominate The Metamorphosis. Surely no one really believes that Gregor Samasa is turned into a cockroach? The votes would not be there for that I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Classic - pre World War 1 (pre-1914)

this would be the month for those great books written long ago that you can still buy at borders. Most will be in the public domain so people can download them for free.

Modern Classic - post World War I

this would be your On The Road, Catch-22, A Canticle for Liebowitz, Harry Potter, Hitchhickers Guide, etc. This can also include those Pulitzer prize winners as well.
Sounds good to me, let's go with that. Though from your dates did you mean WWII?

Isn't it about time for nominations for August to start? None of this need impact that.

Last edited by pilotbob; 07-26-2011 at 05:54 PM.